Finch Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Society Clutch of 7

Go down

My Society Clutch of 7 Empty My Society Clutch of 7

Post  Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi FinchG I hope you don't mind if I post photos of my last Society clutch. They are mostly fawn and white and two pure white chicks. Of the 7 there are 4 crested and one is white crested with red eyes. I also have a fawn/white with red eyes. There are 4 males in this clutch. The first clutch had 5 chicks and were a mix of choc/white and fawn/white with 3 crested. The hen is fawn/white and the cock is choc/white crested.

My Society Clutch of 7 DSC00385

My Society Clutch of 7 DSC00366

Back to top Go down

My Society Clutch of 7 Empty Re: My Society Clutch of 7

Post  FinchG Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:25 pm

HI ranchnanny, please feel free to post at anytime and I like seeing your society pictures. I really like your white cresteds, and your fawn and whites. I have had two clutches of 7 from my two females, one female is soild white and crested and one female is fawn and white crested. The male is solid white but no crest. They produced 4 white and the dark chocolate/white babies but no fawn and whites. I would really like to keep breeding for whites but I need to get a new white male and female to breed with the ones I have.

I went to the bird show on Sunday and there were only two finch breeders there the rest of the birds were hook bills. I bought 1 OCwaxbill to go with my other 3 so it would be even. Do your OC's eat the egg food? I never see my eating it, I would like to breed them but I don't want to feed live food.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:32 pm

yes my OC's eat the egg food and I know I have a pair cause one sings and he has a red beek versus the hen has an dark orange beek. They don't sleep in nest but I do catch them playing with the nesting materials.

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:44 pm

If you breed yours will they need live food? Everything I have read said they won't raise their young unless they have live food. I do not know if this 4th OC is a male or not he is alone in a cage right now until I am sure he is ok and not sick. I have had my other OC for almost a year and I know they don't sing and they don't go in a nest either. I may put all 4 in a cage by their self , not sure yet but my red head gouldian seems to chase them if they come near his nest, which he and the female are sitting on eggs but I am not sure when they started sitting, but I think it should be about time for the eggs to hatch. Which I will be nervous because all I hear is about them being such bad parents, but I do have societies in there so I hope if I have to move the babies they will take care of them, if they hatch.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:50 pm

Oh no I don't do LIVE food Yuck!!!! I give the CB's and the OC's freeze dried and they eat it up. If the OC's mate that would be great but I am not holding my breath...

I had given up on my owl finches and they surprised me big time cause I thought I had two males.... so I will just bide my time with the OC's.

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:01 pm

I could never do live, ever,ever, ever.

I can look for freeze dried, is it worms? ugh and do you get it in the fish section at the pet store? Do you mix yours in with your egg food or just by it self? If I have a male OC I will get some and then put them in their own cage.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:12 pm

Well the first bag of freeze dried I got from Laraines Lady Gouldians website and I have seen live food at Petsmart fish/lizard dept. They come in containers like cottage cheese. They look like maggots small but the freeze dried is very small. The finches eat that stuff up like mad. I don't give it to them everyday maybe 2 times a week like a treat.

I give them so much stuff I have to divide it up during the week. Chopped romain, whole leaf Kale, gound carrot and broccoli, egg food, spinach leaves, ground up nuts, seeds (brown millet, japanese millet, proso dove millet) color food, moulting/condition food, apple slices (canaries), cucumber (canaries) oh and sprigs of reg. millet. Yikes!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:24 pm

You have some lucky birds, I give mine collard greens for calcium and kale, broccoli, boiled egg, I tried the boiled seed today because they waste so much, they ate some but didn't gobble it up like I thought. I get mixed finch seed in bulk from the bird store when I can get there but sometimes I have to use Walmarts 8n1 finch seed and mix it with Pet Smarts seed. I keep trying grated carrots but they don't eat much of it.

Do you chop by hand or what kind of chopper do you use, I have a small electric chopper/blender but it doesn't get the greens chopped very good.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 pm

I had a small chopper/food processor and found a larger version of it call Oscar and it works great for the carrots and brocoli. The carrots I use are the bag of small slivers which grated up nice. I use a coffee grinder which I found at a yard sale to grind the nuts that are to big for them to eat. I also add the ground nuts to the egg bread.

Have you ever made the jiffy corn bread mix for your birds?

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:33 pm

I grate the regular size of carrot but it gets mushy with my small hand held grater, but I will try the slivers and put them in the chopper.

I have not made the jiffy bird bread but I have seen the receipe. I do want to get a coffee grinder to grind egg shells, I have not given them nuts.

My Society Clutch of 7 4022320348
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Wal-mart has in the bird food section of the pet dept. a box which contains nuts for small parakeets etc. I was told the Gouldians liked them so I tried them. Once I saw the nuts I decided to grind them up a bit so the others could enjoy them. And they do!!

Its fun trying different things and different foods for the birds enjoyment.

its just to much fun happyballoons1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down