Finch Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Finch Gathering

2 posters

Go down

New to Finch Gathering Empty New to Finch Gathering

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:34 pm

I am new to Finch Gathering but not new to finches. I am always looking for any new information and tidbits regarding caring for birds. I have a 6 ft. flight cage inside my home and have Societies, Owls, Orange Cheeks Waxbills, Gouldians and 2 pairs of Zebras. I am looking forward to learning more about Finches.

happydance1

Ranchnanny (Sherry)

Back to top Go down

New to Finch Gathering Empty Re: New to Finch Gathering

Post  FinchG Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:46 pm

hello1 Sherry and Welcome. I would love to hear about your birds and experiences also any pictures you have. Do you have any babies in the nest? Thanks for joining.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 520

Back to top Go down

New to Finch Gathering Empty About My Birds

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:11 pm

I started with 1 Red Factor Canary and now have 21 birds. I had more but had to rehome some 5 Spice Finches and 4 Zebras.

I'll start with my Canaries Peeps and Ladybird who had 4 chicks their first clutch. Then my Societies gave me two clutches of 5 then 7 chicks. The first 5 ha 3 crested and the 7 have 4 crested and two are pure white one of those has red eyes.
Then my Owl Finches gave me 3 eggs I was so surprised cause I didn't know if I had a pair or not. Turns out I did happydance1 They have fledged and are so cute.

New to Finch Gathering DSC00373

New to Finch Gathering DSC00402

New to Finch Gathering DSC00132

New to Finch Gathering DSC00385

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:35 pm

Congratulations on all those chicks. The owl is so cute with the feathers sticking up. Your societies are very pretty, I also have some solid whites that are crested but no red eyes.
I looked up pictures of mine and they are Marked White/Chocolate pieds. Did you mate white to white? I have two whites, one crested and one fawn and white that produced mine.
Your flight cage is very nice and big, I would love to have one like that, right now I have one large flight and the rest are 30x18x18.
Did you have luck with your spice breeding? I have three but I am sure there all the same sex and they are not very active, they tend to stay on one perch except to come down to eat. Also, have you tried to breed your orange cheeks, I think mine are the same sex. Sorry probably too many questions at once.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:13 pm

My Society parents are Pied. The male is chocolate pied and the hen is fawn pied. I actually have two chicks that have red eyes one pure white crested and the other is fawn pied.
I had no luck crying1 with the spice finches I had six but one got out of the flight and hit a window.... I had three males and three females. Mine did the exact same thing sitting on one perch together.....I believe I have a pair of orange cheeks cause I always see one singing and his beak is dark red compared to the hen. The are so curious little birds always the first to check out whatever I put in the flight.

I've been through several different size cages until I found the 6ft flight on craigslist.
I have my canaries in 30in cages.

Thanks happyflower1

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:32 pm

I didn't know if mine were white because of the parents but maybe it was my fawn & white female.
I was reading about true Albinos and this is part of an article from http://www.zebrafinch.com/societyfinch/Albino_Society.html
The true Albino is a totally different mutation and completely distinct from the typical US White Society Finch. One look at a true Albino and you'll know what I mean. They are brilliant white, and illuminating ruby red eyes, and they DON'T go blind. Their eye sight is impaired as one would expect for all Albinos, but they do not develop cataracts that typifies the Red eyed Whites. The Albino is a recessive trait, and both parents must carry the gene to produce Albino chicks. It is recommended that Albinos be bred to splits for Albino and not to mate two Albinos. They breed well and are quite robust birds, often quite large.

Is there anyway to know if yours are split to Albino?
I always thought white with red eyes was an Albino.
Yours are beautiful and I would like to breed all white societies.

Thanks for the Spice information I thought it was just mine. Sorry about your loss of one of them. Mine do not sing at all, I know one of them makes a strange noise but not sure how to describe it.

I will have to get another orange cheek and hope its a male, since I doubt if I will catch one singing at the bird show or bird store. Good luck with yours

I keep looking on craigs list but so far no luck, I really like yours and I am sure your birds do to.

Feel free to add any information or comments to any of the posts on the forum, we need as much info to pass on to others as we can get.

britestar1 I like your signature & avatar
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cando Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Hey Sherry... glad you gave checked out the site...lots of great research FinchG has been busy gathering: )
Your pictures and birds look great..I love your flight cage.
Cando
Cando
FG Friend
FG Friend

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Thanks FinchG and Cando for the comments. FinchG I have no knowledge of the parents background since I purchased them from the Bend Petsmart. I also have another fawn/white chick with red eyes.

Tomorrow I will be picking up a pair of Cordon Bleu's the male is a Red Cheeked and two Gloster canaries. There colors are unbelievable so I will post photos.

You might check ebay classifieds under birds for OCWB's around here people flag your ad for rehoming birds on Craigslist.

happyflower1

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:13 am

ranchnanny,
goodnews1 about getting the Cordon Blu's and Glosters how exciting for you. I can't wait to see the pictures.

I don't know the background of my societies either but
I have never had any red eyes in any of my whites. I wonder if this will be passed on if you breed them when they are older, hmmm more research for me. study

FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down