Finch Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poop In the Food

3 posters

Go down

Poop In the Food Empty Poop In the Food

Post  FinchG Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:26 am

What do you do when your finches (mainly my societies) poop in their food dish?
If your not home and for example you have egg food in a dish and the dish is not under any perches (I learned that lesson fast) and while they eat they turn and poop in it!
Does anyone know if they still eat around the poop and if so does this cause a problem?
Or do they not eat the food once its been pooped on?

I know they do this in their water dish and I have changed to a hanging one, but before doing this I changed their water all day long, but since I am home all day I can do this, but I still see them trying to drink the water even though its soiled. Can this make them sick? Because if your not home and they do this in their food/seed dish I guess they still eat the food.
thinking1
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 520

Back to top Go down

Poop In the Food Empty Re: Poop In the Food

Post  Cando Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Age old problem with many species....
Finding a feeder that is hard for them to get into helps. If your cage is large enough you can use the types that are designed for aviaries. They usually consist of a hopper with a slanted top so that the birds cannot land/sit on them...the roof overhangs the feeding area...much like some outdoor wild bird feeders.
Cando
Cando
FG Friend
FG Friend

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Once they poop in their egg food dish is this contaminated? I try to check it and was just wondering if they would still eat it and if they did would it make them sick. I tried searching for this information but can't find anything do far. I know most people are not home to watch their birds during the day and wonder what effect it would have on the birds. I do use hanging feeders for the seed but the egg food I put in the dish on the cage floor.
Maybe I am over thinking this poop thing thinking1
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradise Aviary Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:37 pm

I think this happens to most of us if not all I haven't been able to solve the problem yet I'm a firefighter so I'm not home for 24hrs so its hard to keep control of when and who popped in the water or food cup so usually I just pick the poop out and seeds that are contaminated and supply some more fresh seed just to avoid any type of contamination. I've already had to many headaches and problems with sick birds and have had to spend a lot of $$$$MONEY$$$$ on medication so I try to avoid taking any risk
Paradise Aviary
Paradise Aviary
FG Friend
FG Friend

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:18 pm

A firefighter,Poop In the Food 984105 I am sure that keeps you busy and when you are home you probably de-stress by watching your finches.

I do the same thing with the poop in the food and water and there is no solution except to change it/ pick it out. I do go thru a lot of seed doing this, I try to get the poop out and all the seeds around it, but sometimes I just dump it.

Its mostly my societies and orange weavers that do this, the gouldians are a lot cleaner with their water and food dishes.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down