Finch Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks

2 posters

Go down

Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks Empty Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks

Post  Guest Sun May 20, 2012 11:26 am

happydance1 happydance1 Very excited and surprised that my CB's second try produced 3 new hatchlings. happydance1 I don't know the date the eggs were laid or when they hatched cause I did not look in the nest. I did check yesterday cause it was very quite no chirping and got concerned.
Sigh of relief when I saw 3 babies. happydance1 happydance1 happydance1

Back to top Go down

Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks Empty Re: Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks

Post  FinchG Sun May 20, 2012 11:45 am

Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks 2826758483 That is great news!!

3 hatchlings and CB's to boot. I know how hard it is to get them to breed and then to have babies that is wonderful. Congratulations!!!!1

I know you don't feed live food and I know they can breed and raise hatchlings without it, so please keep me updated on their progress.

Can't wait to see them when they fledge, I know you can't peek anymore until

then.Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks 749345
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 20, 2012 1:39 pm

I have been giving them dried meal worms chopped up and other insecr food from Lady Gouldians website.... They seem to like it. They weren't much on eating anything I gave them egg food, fresh greens etc.... but now they eat everything I give them. Both parents are very good about tending to the chicks..... happy1

I also had success with my one pair of Gouldians Kiwi and Bindi their two chicks have fledged...... happydance1

I did loose my one canary hen Ladybird just found her lying on the cage floor no signs of any trauma. She was fine one day and the next gone......her last clutch of 3 chicks are doing fine...

I got a Gloster hen (named Fancy) from the gal I got Peeps (red factor) from. She had her on Craigs list for free. The hen has an ingrown feather on her back so she did not breed her. She is 3 years old.

Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks DSC00665

Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks DSC00663

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Sun May 20, 2012 2:01 pm

You have been busy! I really like the colors of the canaries you posted.

Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks 511060220 about Ladybird, that is so sad to know they were fine one day and then find them gone with no signs of illness. I know she was one of your favorites. I am glad you have 3 of her babies and maybe you will keep one.

Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks 644257598 on the 2 gouldian fledglings. I have paired my two RH's back up and they have been in the nest alot. This time I put them in a flight by their selves.

All my other 7 are all grown up except one that has never molted in to his/her adult colors, I ended up with 1 female and 5 males, and the one that I can't tell what sex it is. My BH female also has never completed her molt because she started laying eggs before she was finished.

I am always checking craigs list but never find anything free, will you be breeding her or does the ingrown feather gene get passed on and is that even an issue, I will have to do some reading on that.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 20, 2012 2:21 pm

From what I have read the hen will pass it on to her chicks...... crying1 Peeps is trying to mate with her and she did lay one egg but I tossed it. They have no nest.

I did get some new Gouldians from Don Wall here in Redmond I got a RH/PB/YB male finally happydance1 and a OH/WB/GB hen, BH/WB/GB male. I also traded for a RH/PB/GB (very pastel color) Single Factor Dilute Male.

Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks DSCF2566

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Sun May 20, 2012 2:47 pm

That is a shame if you can't breed her, but you can still enjoy watching her, is an ingrown feather that bad?

The Gouldians are gorgeous and I would love to have one of each. Its nice you found a breeder to buy from and then you know more about their background.

Can't wait till to see what colors you get from them when they have chicks.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 24, 2012 7:01 pm

Big day today as all three chicks fledged... They are so small and cute.

Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks DSC00681

Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks DSC00680

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu May 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks 192185 Awww so sweet, they are adorable! You should be so proud of them, I know how hard it is to get them to raise babies to fledglings. Keep me updated with their progress.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RC#1 Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:01 pm

How much time of a new pair feeding and caring for young hatchlings do I need to be considerd to be in the "clear"? When does that critical time end? Are there any warning signs of a potential bad parent? I have a new pair of RH/YB gouldians sitting tight on 6 eggs which are due to hatch around 7/1/2012.

RC#1
FG Member
FG Member

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:36 pm

With my hatchlings I kept watch to make sure no one was tossed from the nest then when they fledged I watched to make sure all 6 were being fed. I had one the I called "six" (I posted about him) he was so much smaller than the rest and the last one to leave the nest. When he did leave he sat on the bottom of the cage and noone was feeding him, so I sat him on the seed dish so when "mom" came to eat she would hear and see him begging and then would feed him. When I turned the lights out I would put him back in the nest since he couldn't fly up to the perches where the other fledglings were.

To me the worrying stopped and I felt like they were in the clear when they fledged and were all eating and drinking on their own and now they will be 8 months old.

Maybe ranch nanny will tell you her experience as well.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:34 pm

RC#1 Hi ..... You asked how long do you have to wait after they fledge. Well I agree with FinchG once I see them eating and drinking on their own is when I remove them from their parents. My Zebra's and CB's start chasing the fledglings away or only the dad is feeding them cause mom is busy trying to start another clutch. About 20 days +/- is what I go by and if they are eating and drinking its time. Hope this helps. :goodluck1:

Had a mishap with one of my male Stafford Canaries (Capt. Jack Sparrow) he has a broken leg. No skin broken and it appears to be way up with the leg goes into the body. He is flying, eating, drinking water and singing. I don't know what I can do for him. He got into a fight with another male canary in the flight it was really bad they were rolling around on the cage floor like two school kids. I put him in a cage with a couple of young Gouldians. I have had some bad luck with my canaries lately.... crying1

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:55 am

Hi ranchnanny, I am sorry to hear about your canary, Capt. Jack, breaking his leg. It seems there is not much you can do for a broken leg, but it sounds like he is doing good despite his leg so I hope he continues to heal even if he loses his leg he can still have a happy life.

If the break is so severe that the lower section of the limb is only attached by a small piece of skin, clip it off. Not easy to do, I know. If the break isn't that bad just stop the bleeding. Don't attempt to splint the leg unless you are experienced, remember the splinting process is very painful for the finch and should only be done by a professional. Once the bleeding has stopped, move the finch to a hospital cage and let it rest. If you wash the leg or remove the clotting agent too soon you will cause pain and the bleeding may resume.

Given time and with a lot of loving care the finch may recover and become more active. You won't know how much damage was done to the leg for the first several days. If the blood flow to the lower leg has been stopped the dead leg will eventually turn black and simply fall off. While that is happening the leg will heal and form a small stump. If the dead limb doesn't fall off you can cut it off but only cut the black area and not too close to the viable tissue. Always watch for signs of infection.

Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks 930260 My internet has been causing me problems staying on-line so if I don't respond right away its because I can't get on line.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:55 am

ranchnanny, how is Capt.Jack Sparrow doing?
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:08 pm

I am amazed he is using his leg and foot. Once in a great while he will let it hang but most of the time he uses it. His claws grip the perches lightly so I think he is going to be fine...... happydance1 smile1 happyballoons1

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:14 pm

That is great news, with you taking such good care of him he will only keep getting better.

Thanks for letting me know.Cordon Bleu's Have Chicks 617208
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down