Finch Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Canary Info

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My Canary Info Empty My Canary Info

Post  Guest Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Well I called the gal I purchased my two canaries from to get the exact info regarding their parents.

Unos father is Lance a Crested Stafford and his mother is Peach a Red Factor.

Mohawk (Tres) father is Lance a Crested Stafford and his mother is a Raza Espanola.

I didn't know what the Raza Espanola canary looked like so I checked online. They are beautiful. I love the name since I am Spanish it fits well...

So the information I posted before was incorrect they are not American Staffords...

Back to top Go down

My Canary Info Empty Re: My Canary Info

Post  FinchG Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:29 pm

I must have posting on your topic asking about themMy Canary Info 309346

the same time you posted here.

Thanks for posting the information about them again. If you can, please post the pictures of the parents and yours again in here.

My Canary Info 4022320348
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:35 pm

FinchG I don't have photos of the parents but here are Uno (yellow crested) and Mohawk (red/orange/crested).

My Canary Info DSC00412

My Canary Info DSC00413

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks for posting yours again. I will look around and see if can find what the two species look like.

Hmm canaries are getting very interesting to me. My Canary Info 899515 If only I had more room.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Just one more 30inch cage would do it for a Canary FinchG what1

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:17 pm

My Canary Info 190393 30 inches hmm, maybe I could swing that, as I would have to swing it from the ceiling. My Canary Info 991728

But Christmas is coming......My Canary Info 899515
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:21 pm

How did you get started with canaries? and which came first the Finch or the Canary? If someone would get a canary

cough,cough, what kind of canary would you advise that person to get ?
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:34 pm

Well!!! my first canary when I was a kid (back in the dark ages) was a Gloster and I loved him (Caruso) he sang so beautifully. Then I went most of the life without birds until last April when I got Peeps a Red Factor and boy can he sing.

If you love crested get a crested male and enjoy the singing then get a femaie. My first attempt a breeding my two resulted in 5 eggs but only 4 made it. They were beautiful and the parents were wonderful and very attentive.

My Canary Info DSC00108

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:37 pm

More Canary pics

My Canary Info DSC00112

My Canary Info DSCF2165

My Canary Info DSC00042

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:46 pm

Very pretty birds, those babies in that last picture are soooo cute and I like the color of the mother. I remember the dark ages but for me it was a long time ago, thanks for tempting me with those pictures, I really needed that.

A crested would be my choice, cough, if I could find one

in my area. There is a bird show coming up this Sunday

and I will "look" to see what they have. I want to get two more white societies to get new blood lines for my other whites.

Do they get along with the societies and orange cheeks or would I need a seperate cage? Which I don't have much room left for more cages.

Last edited by FinchG on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:50 pm

I had mine is a 30 inch cage especially while they were building and raising their young. But I have canaries in my fiight cage right now with no problems.

FinchG is gona get a canary happydance1 happydance1

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:58 pm

ranchnanny is an enabler of canaries for people who have no room for another cage.

Beware of the baby canary pictures they will get you hooked, do not stare at them for long periods of time.

My Canary Info 930140 My Canary Info 930140 My Canary Info 930140 My Canary Info 930140
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:42 pm

The first baby chicks (sherbet) color and the next chick was more brown with white and yellow. The next photo is the father (Red Factor) feeding chicks.

This is my only hen Ladybird. Three of her chicks were sherbet colored.

My Canary Info DSCF2061

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:56 pm

thanks for explaining, Ladybird is very pretty. So the red factor male canary produced the sherbet colored chicks with Ladybird? Do you have to stick to "type" or species when breeding canaries like you do in finches. Thanks for this information it will help when "someone" gets a canary "someday"

Last edited by FinchG on Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I can't spell or type)
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cando Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:05 pm

All canaries are canaries so you aren't crossing species. But many years have gone into breeding many different types of canaries... song, color, and type.
For showing canaries you must stick with breeding the same types together... just like in dog shows..If you want to show your poodle puppies then don't breed him with a chihuahua : ) But if you just want a mutt for a pet...then okay, though they are usually harder to sell. Many people won't buy canaries unless they are pure strain because it will dilute the traits of their stock. Mixed canaries can sell for $20 to $50 while pure strains can go from $80 to $500.
It is best not to breed the yellows with the red factors because you loose the beauty of either color of the bird... the red and the yellow. Though some people like peach...as a matter of fact one of the first canaries I ever bought ...many years ago was a peach colored... and yes, his name was Peachy King... after all those were the hippie days and that was a common saying...anyone remeber that?
Cando
Cando
FG Friend
FG Friend

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Thanks Candance, that was "peachy king", I do remember that but had forgotton until you mentioned it.

So if I wanted a crested canary that would be a type, then I would have to breed it with another type.

If I wanted to breed for type and song then that would not be a pure strain?

I really need to read more on this.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:48 pm

The gal I purchased Ladybird from told me to be sure not to breed the soft feathered with the hard feathered. Don't know what that means. My Red Factor is hard feathered meaning he is sleek with tight feathering and Ladybird is kind of fluffy.

I probably should do an internet search on that. thinking1

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:23 pm

oops1 I got my info mixed up . You should breed hard feather to hard feather and the same with soft feathered canaries. Breed like feathered canaries together to maintain integrity of the bird. That's what I found online. Sorry for the mistake that's what happens when you get OLD crying1

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Old ranchnanny, did you breed your canaries hard to soft already? Are those the pictures you posted of your babies? or were you just posting that you should breed hard to soft.

I am so confused
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:55 pm

Well ya know now I'm not sure about anything.... crying1 I remember the gal I purchased Ladybird from (soft feathered) told me one thing and now I am reading something else... scream1

I am not going to breed canaries to sell anyway but just for myself. I did breed my hard feathered male to a soft feathered which I guess was wrong crying1 The folks who got the chicks were very happy with them. I will have to make sure I do the right thing from this day forward.....

I will put Uno and Ladybird both yellow together next spring and that will be it.

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:06 pm

When you breed hard feathers to soft what problem does that cause, because yours turned out fine. I will see what I can find, I have been trying to find some information on your raza espanole and so far nothing.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:11 pm

FinchG I just googled "Raza Espanola Canaries" Yes my canary chicks turned out fine but I think for the serious breeder to maintain the integrity of the spcefic species of Canary breeding like feather type is important. I also googled finding info about hard feathered to soft feathered canary breeding.

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:39 pm

when I googled Raza Espanola I could not find any information about them. I will try and find something about the hard versus soft feathers in breeding canaries and post it here.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:43 pm

You were right the first time according to this.

It is recommended you do not breed hard feather to hard feather (intensive to intensive) canaries. Best pairing is a soft feathered (frost) to a hard feathered (intensive) canary. Two soft feathered birds can be bred to each other. It is also important to keep the colors as pure as possible. Do not breed yellow to red factor because both traits will be diluted. Breed melanin birds to melanin birds and clear to clear or variegated birds will be achieved. Learn the rules of breeding (and then you will know why and when to break them).

Another ...

A soft-feathered bird will have feathers with a lighter, softer appearance, and a hard-feathered bird will have feathers that lay tight against its body. The color of a hard-feathered bird is often richer and darker. Do not breed two soft-feathered birds to each other because this can lead to feather cysts.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Hello yesterday I took one of my crested canaries back to the gal I bought him from. It was the tri colored crested (yellow/orange/brown. He wasn't singing at all. She was glad to trade him for another she has so many canaries in her aviary. I believe there were 5 different clutches....

He is a crested orange and his name is Pete. I am still having no luck with Uno (yellow crested) singing.

My Canary Info DSCF2300

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next