Finch Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Gibber Italicus

2 posters

Go down

The Gibber Italicus Empty The Gibber Italicus

Post  FinchG Sat May 21, 2011 12:32 pm

This mutation spread to other parts of Europe that resulted in the establishment of new breeds.
The Gibber Italicus is one of these, a creation of Italian fanciers who have produced a bird which, to some
eyes has certain characteristics that are almost unnatural.
Its exact origin was not recorded but its visual appearance would seem to be inherited of the
South Dutch Frill, probably with no other blood being involved. In general type and posture the
two have much on common although the Gibber is smaller in size, a slim and lightly-built bird with
less frilling developed.

This tiny size was probably bred by the steady use of Yellow + Yellow, which is the
normal practice in this breed, instead of the traditional Yellow + Buff. Also, as a result of this
procedure, a proportion of Yellow with Yellow is produced a very hard feathered Yellow and this,
in particular, has thin, less and sometimes breakable plumage which is a marked feature in the
Gibber Italicus, although an opposite quality in most other breeds. Close inbreeding, which is
commonly used in establishing a type, has also helped to produce a bird with the naturally
nervous action which can be found in the Frills has increased to almost top degree, therefore,
Gibbers often appear to be quite shaking on their perches.

The Gibbers is one of those breeds in which posture and frilled plumage have been
combined. In show position it stands erect upon very stiff legs and with the neck bent forward to
give a posture in the form of a figure ‘7’. The three main frills on shoulders, breast and flanks, are
the only ones that should be present and, because of the less plumage, they seem like primary.
The breast frills do not meet in the centre, thus leaving the breastbone exposed, and the thighs
and most of its joint is also naked.

All colors found in other breeds of canaries, (except for Red) are also permitted in the Gibber
Italicus, there is no Buff Gibber Italicus.

The standards for the Gibber Italicus by the C.O.M. are as follow:

Neck – Long, elongated and slender.
Mantle – Small but symmetrical.
Wings – Long, straight and close to body.
Tail – Long, in straight line with back.
Head – Small, slender, snake-like.
Breast – Small but symmetrical curving, naked breastbone.
Flanks – Small but symmetrical.
Legs – Long, stiff and straight, thighs must be naked.
Attitude – Slender, forming a figure of ‘7’, neck extended and square with back.
Size – 14 - 15 cm. (5.5 - 5.9 in.)
Origin – Italy.

The Gibber Italicus 64329703

FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 520

Back to top Go down

The Gibber Italicus Empty Re: The Gibber Italicus

Post  Guest Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:23 pm

FinchG I just can't get my brain wrapped around this bird. The poor thing looks like its starving. Its not a canary I would want. What a cruel trick to play on such a beautiful species. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

thinking1

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:38 pm

I know exactly what you mean I felt the same way when I saw my first picture of one. I feel so sorry for him and I don't know how it would be able to breed with another one of its kind. That to me is going way to far on the "inbreeding" scale. I think someone on the finch forum has one and that is were I first saw a picture.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cando Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:55 pm

I know a few people that love these... the same type that like any exagerated animal...like the hairless dogs and cats... I agree...yuck, I would spend all of my efforts on trying to fatten the poor thing up.
Cando
Cando
FG Friend
FG Friend

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:59 pm

I would be trying to fatten them up too. I have never see one in person, but I think he just looks like he is sad and I feel sorry for him.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum