Finch Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Gouldian Pair

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

New Gouldian Pair - Page 3 Empty Re: New Gouldian Pair

Post  FinchG Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:29 am

[quote="ranchnanny"]Forgot to tell you that when I took the chick out of the nest I found another chick that was dead.

The hen had also laid 2 eggs and they are solid inside. I did put them in the society nest to see what happens as she is sitting on 2 eggs of her own. Her two chicks just fledged last friday.

I forgot to ask you about the 2 eggs you put under the societies, did anything happen with them?

FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:03 am

I'm not sure which eggs you mean. I did put another nest in for the gouldians now its a wait and see game.
Ladybird has 3 new babies all fledged and my staffords one consort and one corona are laying their first egg today. happy1

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:06 am

The Gouldian eggs you put under the societies, when you were handfeeding the Gouldian hatchling.

From your Post:

The hen had also laid 2 eggs and they are solid inside. I did put them in the society nest to see what happens as she is sitting on 2 eggs of her own. Her two chicks just fledged last friday.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:10 am

Nothing came of those eggs.

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:21 am

Sounds like Ladybird and your Staffords are going to keep you busy with their hatchlings.

Sorry about your Gouldian eggs, hope this time works out better.

My females Gouldians are not quite finished with their molt so I have not set them up again. My 7 fledlings are almost colored out some faster than others.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:43 am

I still have two adults stuck in molt how do you get them started again?

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:05 pm

My BH female is the one that has not molted out. When I got her she was young and had not had her first molt and the breeder told me it was ok that she would color out in a month, but that never happened. Note: Never buy a Gouldian before their first molt.

She colored out on her body but her head looks bald. She mated and had 3 chicks but only one survived. So this stress also added to her delayed moulting.

My RH is almost finished hers, just has some pin feathers.

I have been giving them the usual: Oyster shell, powdered cuttlebone, powdered kelp, granulated kelp, charcoal. Also added miracle meal, and color amp finch seed plus boiled eggs.

A complete molt could be 1 month or 3 months.

If the diet conditions are ideal, the bird will complete the molt process when it goes through it's first adult molt in another year's time.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:36 pm

The pair I have are the pair I bought in Bend. The male is fully feathered but the hen needs to finish her head its kind of motled looking. I give them everything even Iodine and they just don't eat it at least in the beginning. They are more receptive to the egg food now.

My yellow/orange head male is stuck as well. He is in the flight with 3 others. Oh! I actually have 3 stuck in molt I forgot Darwin. So I have Bindi (hen), Darwin & Aussie both males. Darwin is a red head and Aussie is an orange head.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:37 pm

All my males are purple breasted with the exception of Darwin who has a white breast.

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:57 pm

Have you tired Miracle meal or Feather Fast? Its good they are eating the boiled egg because they really need protein during the molt. Have you tried sprinkling some kelp on part of their egg food to get them to eat it? Mine eat all of it in a seperate dish for free choice but to get yours to start maybe try putting it on their egg food.

Feather Fast - a dietary supplement of high potency vitamin, mineral, amino acid and concentrated protein designed to aid and promote successful molts in all birds. Feather Fast provides a broad spectrum of nutrients necessary to produce vibrant, brightly colored, healthy feathers in all birds.

Miracle Meal’s most important role is to provide our birds with health promoting nutrition beneficial for the breeding and molting seasons. Miracle Meal is a complete, all-natural, highly nutritious soft food. It contains the correct balance of protein, carbohydrates and essential fatty acids necessary for proper growth, breeding, molting and immune system functioning.

Miracle Meal does not contain egg.
The protein is fortified with lactose-free whey protein. While this is more expensive than just adding dry egg, it is better for the birds. It is not as quick to spoil and does not contain the high fat levels of dehydrated egg.

from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I add miracle meal free choice Not in place of boiled eggs. I just use it as an extra nutrition during molting. FinchG

FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Yes I have used Miracle Meal and am using kelp and Feather Fast on all my birds......

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:03 pm

It looks like we have given out finches everything possible to help them thru their molts, now all we need is patienceNew Gouldian Pair - Page 3 613833

New Gouldian Pair - Page 3 3521611944
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3