Finch Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feeding parents

2 posters

Go down

Feeding parents Empty Feeding parents

Post  friend Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:32 pm

What do you feed your birds after the eggs hatch?

friend

Back to top Go down

Feeding parents Empty Re: Feeding parents

Post  FinchG Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:59 pm

Hello,
If I have a pair making a nest I really "up" the egg food. I just used boiled eggs and then put them in a chopper to get the pieces small. I chop the eggs with the shell and that way they get their protein and calcium at the same time. When they hatch be sure and keep the dish full as this will be the main part of their diet to feed the babies :goodluck1: .
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  Cando Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:29 pm

What species of bird?
Many do fine with just eggfood, dried or fresh boiled/scramvled. Most do better with chitted/sprouted seed and greens. Some will only raise young on live foods like mealworms. Though many breeders have been successful with fish foods. Dried bloodworms, flake food, krill, and such.
This diet should be provided before the chicks hatch so that the parents are familiar with the foods. Many times if it something new they will not eat it right away.
Cando
Cando
FG Friend
FG Friend

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:54 pm

I have never heard of using fish food, what benefit is in it for the finches? And what species eat it? Thanks for the information.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cando Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:03 pm

Birds that need high protein levels for their chicks...mostly the waxbills. Like cordon blues, strawberries, purple grenadiers, goldbreat.
It is important to buy quality fish foods designed for carnivorous fish...salt water or fresh. The goldfish and pond foods are too love in protein to be of any help.
Fish foods are really loaded with protein, sourced from insects to shrimp, fish , etc. The food sprinkled on top of sprouts or egg food is usually goobled up by the parents. It is just easier than live bugs... though many of the wildcaught birds only want live bugs.
I have grown termites for waxbills and bred mealworms... a lot of work and messy. I eventually weaned most of the birds to boiled eggs (shredded to look like fresh shed mealworns) and no longer raise birds requiring live food. Though I have some fire finches and others here at the shop wanting to breed...so I may start back...or better yet get them use to eating eggfood topped with fish food!
Cando
Cando
FG Friend
FG Friend

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:11 pm

Wow, that is so interesting. I am going to try that for my birds and see how it goes. I may be adding a new section on fish food for Finches.
thumbsp1
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: