Finch Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More Babies!!

Go down

More Babies!! Empty More Babies!!

Post  FinchG Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:37 pm

My two female societies that I had first before I got Spike and his family, hatched 3 eggs yesterday 1/4/2011. I had two males in with them but decided to seperate them but I guess not soon enough! I did not think their eggs would be fertile as they had laid eggs before and nothing hatched. I was almost ready to take their nest out again when I looked and saw three babies, I didn't check today to see if another hatched as I didn't want to bother them. This is their first clutch and it looks like they are feeding the babies. They made their nest in a large oblong feeder instead of the open wicker nest, so I am not sure how that will work when the babies grow.

FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 520

Back to top Go down

More Babies!! Empty Re: More Babies!!

Post  FinchG Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:39 pm

1/12/2011
I checked their nest today because they both were out and there are 6 hatchlings. The only problem is they are in a large plastic seed cup so when the hatchlings grow there will not be enough room. They are feeding the boiled egg and 4 varieties of seed. I make sure that the egg dish is never empty.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:41 pm

1/19/2011
I have left the parents alone but I needed to check the nest because it is so small and I was worried the bigger the clutch grew the less room they have and someone may get knocked out. When I checked there were only 5 not 6, I don't know what happened to the other one as I couldn't tell by looking at the old nest but there was no other sign of it and I always check the cage floor to make sure no one ends up there. I took out the nest and transfered the babies to a kleenex box with torn napkins in the bottom. The big old seed tray was full of poop and packed down hard as a rock so it was time to make a change. Now I don't have to worry about the babies falling out as they grow and there is a lot more room. I didn't do this in the beginning because they were too young and I was worried since this was their first clutch.

After the transfer I had to watch for a couple of hours to make sure the mom and the other female (who acts like a male but doesn't sing) would go back and feed them. I clipped millet spray on the side to entice them to investigate the new box and then see their babies inside. It worked they finally went in to feed the babies.

I would only try this with societies as they are tolerant of me being in their cage changing paper and otting in food.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:00 pm

Yesterday. 1/22/11, I saw one of my females (or so I thought) mate with the other female. These two societies are my first two and have never heard either one of them sing and still don't. They did lay eggs but I thought it was both of them but the eggs didn't hatch. When I got the new group of societies I put two males in the cage with my two females. I knew the males would be too young to mate and I did see them try but I didn't expect any fertile eggs. On 12/5/10 my two laid 2 eggs, 1 rolled on the floor and 1 was in the large seed cup where they sleep. 12/7/10 there were 2 more eggs which tells me only one is laying. On 12/16/10 3 eggs hatched. 16 days is the usual incubation for societies.
Total of hatched eggs is 6, one died very early.

Now that I saw the one that I thought was a female trying to mate I wonder if these hatchlings are theirs or the 2 young males did mate before I seperated them from the females. I seperated them after the eggs were laid because it seemed the males kept the females off the nest by constantly going in the nest themselves but not incubating.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:05 pm

Three babies have fledged. Its strange that one of the babies is already bigger than the mother :shock: If all 5 hatched within days why are 3 of them already trying to eat on their own and the other two look like they should stay in the nest. I can't believe the difference in size and maturity. I know some beg more and get more food for begging the loudest and longest but I watch to see if their all getting fed at the same time and they are, so why the difference in size :?: They are 25 days old.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down