Finch Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weaning My Fledglings

Go down

Weaning My Fledglings Empty Weaning My Fledglings

Post  FinchG Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:00 am

1/12/11
Six out of seven have fledged, but the last one may come out today.
I have searched and read as much as I can find on weaning. But I am still concerned about it. First of all I didn't realize it takes about 3 weeks to wean, I was thinking after fledging it would be a very short time to wean. Now I have a new worry about them learning to eat and drink. Its not as simple as I thought it would be.

I read you have to worry about the parents wanting to breed again and if that happens they won't want to feed the fledglings. There are no nests in the cage and the parents won't stay in the kleenex box so that worry has been averted.

I have been watching to see if the adults were feeding the fledglings since they all were sitting on perches and seed cups, but it looks like they are feeding all of them. I am glad the other two are helping the parents feed all seven, but it seems societies are good at taking care of babies.

Fledglings are fun to watch as they learn to fly and how they all sit together on the same perch to sleep.

I am not sure about them learning to eat, I put millet down and the adults eat it all and I put seed in small lids on the floor and the adults eat it!

to be continued...

Last edited by Admin-FinchG on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 520

Back to top Go down

Weaning My Fledglings Empty Re: Weaning My Fledglings

Post  FinchG Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:57 pm

4 adult societies and 7 fledglings make for a very dirty cage. When I tried to clean out the kleenex box yesterday 3 babies flew out!!
So they can fly...they were easy to catch as they stayed where they landed. I know for sure there are 2 crested fledglings and maybe three. I need to clean the bottom of the cage so the fledglings don't get in the poop but I think that is an impossible task to keep the cage floor clean with 11 finches. The fledglings are supposed to learn how to eat by putting millet and seed and egg food on the floor but I don't think that will be an option, so I am putting their food in the lids for them but so far they have not tried it because they are still being fed. They do like to sit in the food cups which makes it hard for the adults to eat and sometimes they poop in them which makes it hard for me to keep clean.

You wouldn't think that these tiny birds would be so much work but I am constantly changing the water, filling seed cups and putting out more eggs for them plus I do the same for my other two in another cage who hatched 6 babies last week. Then I have the 2 males from spikes family in a seperate cage and the 2 orange cheeked waxbills I got for Christmas in another separate cage.

It doesn't take long to go from 2 to over 20 :!:
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 520

Back to top Go down