Finch Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Make Your Own Cement Perch

Go down

Make Your Own Cement Perch Empty Make Your Own Cement Perch

Post  FinchG Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Cement Perches Recipe
Posted by: Raenett - - December 1, 1998

PVC pipe (Home Depot sells 10 ft. length for 70 cents). I use 3/4" inside diameter, but slightly larger for Cockatiels would be fine.
Duct or Masking tape
One 2" Lag screw per perch (I think that's what they're called; they have threads on both ends)
Two washers per perch (wider than the outside diameter of the pvc pipe and the appropriate size for your cage wire)
One wing nut per perch (to fit the lag screw)
1 bag all purpose sand
1 bag cement
1 tin can or something to hold the molds in.

Now comes the fun part:
Cut the pvc pipe to whatever length perches you want. If you're making more than one, cut them all at once. We have a lot of power tools, which makes it much easier. I usually make mine 6" long.

Now cut each piece of pvc pipe down the center, making a seam. This is not an easy task, but the cut doesn't need to be straight, and my seams usually end up jagged. I have used wire cutters, scissors, garden shears, and a Dremel to make these cuts.

Take the duct or masking tape and tape the bottom and the seam of each piece of pvc pipe, so that when you add the cement mixture, it won't leak out. Stand all of your ready to fill pvc molds in a can, open end up (I have a piece of 2x4 with holes pre-drilled to hold the molds).

Mix 3 parts sand to 1 part cement and add enough water to make it kinda smooth and pourable. MIX WELL, and add more water as needed. Pour the mixture into the pvc molds (a little overflow is better than not filling completely, because some of the water in the mixture will rise to the top).

Place a washer, followed by a wing nut, onto a lag screw, and place it into the center of the cement mixture. The washer will keep the screw from falling into the cement. Don't worry about any dribbles down the side of the molds, this is mostly water.

Let the cement set for several days,... the longer the better. If you become over anxious, your perches will fall apart when you take them out of the mold. I learned this the hard way. Once the cement has set, remove tape and spread the pvc pipe. Take a pair of pliers and pull the perch out of the mold by grabbing onto the screw, or in most cases you can push the perch through the mold once loosened.

When out, the perch will be smooth on the surface. I roughen them up by lightly sanding. If you don't have sand paper, you can use a file, emery board, or whatever. Attach the perch to the inside of the cage, one washer up agaist the cement, attach the other washer on the outside, through the cage bars, and secure with the wing nut.

That's it! I hope I didn't leave anything out. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really is very simple, and as I said earlier, the average cost per perch is 50 cents. The hardest part is cutting the seams and waiting for the cement to cure. Good luck!
birdsnways.com

Make Your Own Cement Perch 949653924 I am going to try this when I get all the materials. Please share if you have done this or have another idea that would save money.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 520

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum