Finch Gathering
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Male Gouldian chasing Female from nest.

2 posters

Go down

Male Gouldian chasing Female from nest. Empty Male Gouldian chasing Female from nest.

Post  RC#1 Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:13 pm

When my female yellow bodied gouldian takes her short breaks from incubating her clutch of six eggs to feed the male will take over the incubating duties. When she tries to re-enter the nest he gets aggressive and will chase her around the cage. I haven't noted any feather plucking, and the clutch is never left unattended for more than a few seconds. She eventually gets her way and gets back in the nest and assumes the majority of the incubation.

Has any one noticed this behaviour? Am I just blessed with two overdedicated parents? Are there any possible problems that could amount from this behaviour?

RC#1
FG Member
FG Member

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 5

Back to top Go down

Male Gouldian chasing Female from nest. Empty Re: Male Gouldian chasing Female from nest.

Post  FinchG Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:42 am

Male Gouldian chasing Female from nest. 803772 RC#1

There can be slight agression at times between hen & male. Normaly this occurs when a hen wants to be relieved from the nest. She will go after the male until he goes into the nest . It is normal unless the agression gets worse like mine did.

My red head male sat with the female in the nest most of the time and only stayed out at night. They had a clutch of 6, a few days after the eggs hatched my female really started chasing the male out of the nest and all around the cage so after a while I has to take him out and she raised the clutch by herself.

I don't see any problems and its good they are so dedicated. I have a RH pair that are laying eggs and not sitting at all. As long as you don't disturb them by "peeking"in the nest it sounds like you will have hatchling soon.

Please keep me updated on their progress.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Eggs For Posting Eggs For Posting : 520

Back to top Go down

Male Gouldian chasing Female from nest. Empty Re: Male Gouldian chasing Female from nest.

Post  RC#1 Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Yes I plan to, I guess every pair has their unique "quirks" and habits and the best thing to do is just give them a good diet and let them be birds. I am pretty confident I will have hatchlings soon just everything about this new pair seems "right on".

RC#1
FG Member
FG Member

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:46 am

RC#1, how is your Gouldian pair doing? Any hatchlings yet?
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RC#1 Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:41 pm

They are still sitting tight. The aggression has completly ceased. Today is day fifteen of incubation which started with the 3rd egg. I just don't want to jinx it, look and risk disturbing the new young pair. But hopefully I'll have some new baby chic-pics to upload soon.

RC#1
FG Member
FG Member

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:58 pm

It sounds like they are being perfect parents. I didn't peek until I heard babies and you can't miss the sound, the babies get loud when they are begging. I only looked when mom was out of the nest. I was nervous with my first clutch so I know what your going thru. Please let me know when they hatch.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RC#1 Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:07 pm

Some good news. This morning I heard the faint sounds of begging chicks. I am not sure how many. I think I am going to wait untill the pair stops brooding to check. Now if I can get some production from my Gold breasted waxbills.

RC#1
FG Member
FG Member

Back to top Go down

Post  FinchG Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:10 am

Congratulations!!!!!

If you are hearing the chicks begging for food they should be about 3 days old.

At first it's very low but it gets a lot louder.

It's hard not to peek, I could hear them but I didn't look until they were a little older and "mom" was out eating, then it was a fast look with a flashlight and I didn't even take time to count how many there were because I was so nervous about "mom" catching me.

Its interesting when you sit and watch her take the food, mine would eat a lot of the collard greens and go in the nest, wondering why she would just feed this to the hatchlings. Then her next trip maybe just seeds, then some oyster shells, than later in the day egg food. It looks like egg food is her last choice. (I took the male out and that is why I only refer to "mom")

I also wanted to tell you that the parents will stop sleeping in the nest at night when the babies are about 6-10 days old, so don't panic when you see them doing this. I did panic and thought the babies would get too cold because it was winter but this is normal and the babies were fine.

Good luck and please keep me updated.
FinchG
FinchG
Founder-Admin
Founder-Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RC#1 Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Yea I'm really not worried at all. Both parents seem very dilligent in caring for the young. The chicks are getting louder, some calls are louder than others. From reading internet articles and other forum posts I have been able to anticipate every stage in this pairs breeding cycle.

RC#1
FG Member
FG Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down